Monday, April 1, 2013

So it's not New Years but....

I hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend. We did hear, even though it rained later in the day. We managed to get the Easter eggs hunt in before it started and the kids were happy. I'll post some pictures later in the day. What I wanted to write about is goal setting. Its not January and these aren't my "New Years Resolutions" buts its April 1 and something about spring and fresh starts means I can start over as well. I've posted in the past about feeling down and confused. I feel the need to re-focus and get back in the groove. A more positive outlook and attitude will go a long way towards turning things around. Still, I think more specific goals would be good so here we go.

1) Exercise at least 4 times a week: this has been hard for me to be consistent with. The only time it really works for me is to get up early, otherwise it just doesn't happen. One of the signs of depression is feeling tired and havinf trouble getting up. Yet, exercise is a way to combat depression. It's sort of cyclical for me too because I have gained weight since working full time and exercise will help that too.
2) Prioritize committments: I'm not good at saying no. I am the little league president right now and next year I will be PTA president. I need to remember not to overload my schedule and personal committments. I tend to always say yes when asked. Then I am crazy and have less time to spend with my kids and family and makes me so tired I don't want to be with anyone.
3) Enjoy my family: This is tied to the one above. Often when I get home from work or meetings I am so tired and frazzled I don't feel like interacting with anyone, not even my husband and kids. I need to re focus on what's important and enjoy the reasons I am working so hard. I'm doing all of this for my family, but if it means I'm not enjoying my family then I need to change.
4) "Act as if": This is something I learned from a couple therapist my husband and I saw years ago. If you can "act as if" things are good, then somehow they become good. If you dwell on what is upsetting and wrong, then it affects the mood of everyone around you. How does the song go? Smile and the whole world smiles with you?

So there you go. I'm going to try and keep it up and will update on my progress. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment