Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do you "Dress" for Thanksgiving dinner?


Despite the fact that it seems to me much of the world has moved directly from Halloween to Christmas, Thanksgiving will be clebrated this week. I have always loved Thanksgiving. In some ways I prefer it to Christmas. It has great food, family and friends without the hysteria of high expectations and gift buying that sometimes seem to accompany Christmas. But what I am wondering is do you "Dress" of Thanksgiving dinner?

The reason I ask is that I have a bit of a quandry this year. If we were going to be at my parents the answer would be yes, of course. At my own house, same answer. Now I'm not talking super formal but a nice skirt and sweater, black patent mary janes and white tights for my daughter, cords, dress shirts and vests for the boys, same for hubby. Usually all the boys, including Hubby match.

This year we are going to one of my sister in law's homes. She lives in Carson City which is outside Reno, Nevada. It's about a 4 hour drive and we are leaving early (like really early) in the morning on Thanksgiving day to drive there. It's also really cold here now. It will be fun, there will be lots of people, great food and cousins for the kids to play with. My husbands family is NOT dressy. We made this same trip last year and I forced my kids and self to change before dinner. I think we were the only ones who did.

I get that the holiday is about more than how you look. But I like to look good, even while hanging out. I hate to make everyone get dressed nicely to drive all that way so early but don't want to see my kids looking like slobs at the Holiday table. So a dilema is at hand. I think I am going to wear skinny jeans, a merion turtleneck and boots which is more dressy than anyone else will be. That way, if I don't get to change it's ok. I will likely coral the kids and make them change though. Appearences are important. If that makes me superfical, so be it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you should do/(by now already done:) what you feel is best for your family. I like the idea of the outfit you chose!

    My family went over to a frinds house for a fun Thanksgiving leftover party Sat. night. My hubby dressed in nice corduroys and sweater/shirt. My daughter did the same as he and I wore nice tan pants and sweater/blouse. Our hosts were all in jeans and sweaters but I felt good that we looked so nice but not too overdressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just now reading this but I must say it does not feel like the holiday if you are not dressed for dinner! It is a must with my family. Not so much with everyone else in the extended family but oh well. Those of us with classic traditions must keep them alive for our children!!!!

    ReplyDelete