Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Life You Have Versus The Life You Wish You Had

One of the hardest things for me, style wise, is shopping for the life I actually have not the life i wish I had. I find myself crusing ebay, wandering the mall and shopping online and finding things I love but have no actual place to wear. I want them because they symbolize the way I wish things were not the way they are. Case in point below. This Banana Republic suit is the way my life is. I am a lawyer and and I work full time for a major bank in downtown San Francisco. Ok, sometimes I have a cardigan on instead of a full suit and sometimes its a skirt of dress but I don't work from home (I wish) nor am I in a creative field. So fun, funky dresses or tunics and shinny jeans are out. Dress pants, pencil skirts, blazers, cardigans, silk shells and nice shoes are in.
The Lilly dress is how I wish my life was. First, I live in Northern California, it doesn't get warm here in the summer. Ever heard the Mark Twain quote, "The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco"? Well it is totally true. And even when it is warm and sunny during the day it is cold, foggy and freezing at night. Also, I have three elementary school aged kids. On the weekends I am wearing jeans (not even nice ones) while helping coach the baseball team or biking with them, going to girl scouts, ballet, you get the picture. Not to complain but cute summer frocks are thin on the ground. Yet I adore Lilly dress and am constantly drawn to them as if by the simple fact they hang in my closet I will be transported to the life of a stay at home mom living in Viriginia or Maryland. (which is what I wish I was).


The above is not to indicate that I am not happy in my life. I am. I do find though, that a small splash or realism helps keep my closet and budget on track. What do you think? Does anyone out there suffer from the same problem?



No comments:

Post a Comment