Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Favorite Holiday Tradition

I had another favorite holiday tradition to share, The Nutcracker. Every year since I was 10 I have gone with my parents and sister to see the Nutcracker at San Francisco's War Memorial Opera House. The San Francisco Ballet was the first ballet company in the United States to perform the Nutcracker and they are justifiably proud of their production. The past 4 years we have taken my daughter, CMB and the last 2 years my sisters son T. Neither of my boys attend because they just aren't interested and getting dressed up does not appeal to them. I take a day off from work, we get all dressed up and go out to lunch first. It's my favorite part of th eholidays!

The San Francisco production of the Nutcracker is a little different. First the Nutcracker has a slightly different and distinctive look as you can see above. Second, at the end, before the grand pas deux that is more traditionally danced between the Sugar Plum Fairy and her Cavilier, the Sugar Plum Fairy turns Clara into a grow woman (by magic) and the grand pas deux is danced between the grown Clara and the Nutcracker Prince. This has 2 different results. First, their is no Rose Queen, the Sugar Plum Fairy dances that solo and second, there is no Sugar Plum Cavilier. It was a little odd the first time I saw it but now it makes sense.



Here are CMB and her cousin T after lunch before the performance. I have more pictures of the kids and family but haven't had a chance to get them out of my camera. Truely it is a special day and one both CMB and I look forward to all year. We buy a special ornament for the tree each year and then when we decorate the tree the following year can remember the good times. Do you go see the Nutcracker?





No comments:

Post a Comment