Thursday, April 22, 2010

What is Style?


"Style is what you are. It's your essential self." -John "Black Jack" Bouvier III


I read the quote above in a book about the younger years of Jackie Kennedy. It really spoke to me. I have been thinking about style and what it means to each of us alot. People have often said to me or asked me why I am so dressed up when what that means is I took a shower and did my hair. This applied when I was in college (and later law school), when I was 9 months pregnant with twins, when I had three kids at home under the age of 3, when I was a stay at home mom with a husband starting his own business. I have always felt that how I look on the outside is a reflection of who I am on the inside. Not in a shallow "status bag" kind of way but in a way that says I care about myself and I care about others enough to present the best of myself to the world. This kind of style transends whether you have a preppy style, a punky style, a romantic style or any other kind of style.


My personal style tends to be more classic. Pencil skirts, cardigans, dark trouser jeans, well cut shirts, ballet flats etc. Yes I mostly buy my stuff from Jcrew or get it on ebay or over at the JCA Exchange. What does style mean to you?

2 comments:

  1. i was just thinking about that too.
    my style is a mixture,i guess.there is a book from lucky magazine to determine your style and it is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There- first time reader of your blog on a lazy Saturday morning. I could not agree with you more. I am told I am "dressed up" so often when to me, it just means I got myself together for the day. It is just as easy to put on cute clothes that fit as it is to put on clothing that probably should be thrown away....after all others have to look at me to! I appreciate it when people make an effort. We always feel better and have a better outlook we look our best! Think about how people behave in formal wear as opposed to sweat pants (gasp!)

    ReplyDelete