Friday, February 4, 2011

Stop and Smell The Rosemary


I love Junior League cookbooks. In fact I collect them and have several that were my mothers. My all time favorite is the Stop and Smell the Rosemary cookbook from the Junior League of Houston. It won first prize in the McIlhenny community cookbook competition for 1996. (McIlhenny are the folks from Louisiana who bring you Tabasco sauce.) Dishes are classy and simple which is a plus for me because I really can only cook if I follow the receipe. Most are familiar, but with a twist that works and makes it seem like you spent way more time on it than you did. Hide the book and someone may consider you a genius. In my circle of friends, mostly current and former leaguers, certain receipes are clearly identifiable! It's hard to go wrong with Ginger Shrimp Toast, any of the fine roasts and stews, or desserts like Pecan Chocolate Chunk Brownies. The Herb Roasted chicken is terrific as is the apple and blue cheese dip. I am making that for a dinner party next week so I will post the receipe as well.
Sadly, my own Junior League which is Palo Alto Mid Peninsula here in California has a cookbook that is out of print and not terribly exciting. I own both volumes of Private Collection as it is called but aside from some of the soups, I don't use it often. I tried a couple of times to get a enw cookbook off the ground when I was on Project Development and once on the board as Fundrasing VP. No one was excited. I'm a sustainer now (after 10 active years) but there is nothing quite like the Junior League.

No comments:

Post a Comment