Thursday, August 1, 2013

Updating a Classic?

I've seen alot of email traffic and talk about the new J Crew School Boy blazer. I think we can all agree that the navy School Boy is a closet staple. I know I wear mine at least once a week, to the office, out a night or with jeans on the weekend.

J Crew describes it this way according to an email I received:


Some History: School uniforms started in the 1500s in England, but the term "blazer" wasn't coined until 1825 by a group of Cambridge University students (the style was later adopted by '60s Mods as a symbol of youthful independence). Who Knew?

The New Schoolboy Blazer: Sometimes we take a lesson from you. You asked for it, so we gave the schoolboy a few new design updates, making it way better and the only blazer you'll ever need.The Details: (1) A slightly longer length elongates everything, so it's extra flattering. (2) Our silky stripe lining makes it even more comfortable. (3) Four buttons instead of three add detail and polish. (4) A menswear-inspired ticket pocket can hold little stuff like lipstick or credit cards- though we prefer keeping it closed.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference in the two.  Elle, over at her {amazing} "Fast Food & Fast Fashion" blog. Check out her "Review: J. Crew Classic Schoolboy Blazer in Navy vs. New Schoolboy Blazer in Navy" post. There are tons of images that showcase both blazers side by side making the comparison easy.

I think I will stick with my classic as opposed to the new. How about you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment